MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WSR not responding problem and cure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WSR not responding problem and cure
    Posted: 10/Nov/2010 at 12:49pm

Yesterday I received the following inquiry from a WSRToolkit customer,  Michael P:
> Is there a reason why WSR is recognizing but not responding to speech
> input. I made a new profile as you suggested and the text is being
> recognized but not transferred or commands executed.

This happens to me occasionally. This is what I do:
1. Close the Speech Bar.
2. Close Speech Macros by right click the   speech macro icon in the lower right Taskbar.
3. Open Task Manager by right clicking a blank area of the Taskbar.
4. Click Processes tab in Task Manager.
5. If Sapisvr.exe is running, highlight it and click End Process.

Restart WSR and it should work fine.

Marty Markoe

andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jul/2011 at 2:39pm

Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

Yesterday I received the following inquiry from a WSRToolkit customer, Michael P:
> Is there a reason why WSR is recognizing but not responding to speech
> input. I made a new profile as you suggested and the text is being
> recognized but not transferred or commands executed.

This happens to me occasionally. This is what I do:
1. Close the Speech Bar.
2. Close Speech Macros by right click the speech macro icon in the lower right Taskbar.
3. Open Task Manager by right clicking a blank area of the Taskbar.
4. Click Processes tab in Task Manager.
5. If Sapisvr.exe is running, highlight it and click End Process.

Restart WSR and it should work fine.

I have been having this exact problem lately.  I did all the things listed above but when I came to number 5, I highlighted sapisvr.exe and clicked 'End Process' but it would not end the process.  Instead, it brought up a window asking for a 'confirm' and if you definitely wanted to end the sapisvr.exe.  On clicking 'End process' for a second time, it brought up another window with the title 'Unable to Terminate Process.'  It went on to say 'The operation could not be completed' and then 'The handle is invalid.'

I could not end the process.  I then closed the Task Manager and then reopened it.  Then I saw that sapisvr.exe had disappeared after re-opening it.

Starting WSR again and the speech macros, I found no matter how many times I said "Start Listening", the speech meter would not open. 

I then closed down the computer completely and then rebooted.  Once everything was loaded again, I tried saying "Start Listening."  Once again, no matter how many times I said it, the speech meter would not open.  Can you explain how I overcome this problem and what might be causing it in the first place?

Thanks

andy t

Edited by andy t - 04/Jul/2011 at 2:48pm
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jul/2011 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

Starting WSR again and the speech macros, I found no matter how many times I said "Start Listening", the speech meter would not open
When you say the speech meter won't open do you mean the whole speech bar or that the blue bars do not show in the vertical sound meter between the microphone icon and the results box?

If you have a speech profile backup just click Manage Profiles in the WSRToolkit. Click on Backup and then Restore my speech profile. This should do the trick.

If this does not work, try running Ccleaner including cleaning the Registry. Reboot and see if it works.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by mmarkoe mmarkoe wrote:

When you say the speech meter won't open do you mean the whole speech bar or that the blue bars do not show in the vertical sound meter between the microphone icon and the results box?

Please excuse my explanation.  It was a lousy one I must admit.  Let me try to explain a little better.

The speech bar is showing and the blue bars are moving up and down (some of the time) then they will disappear.  When they are showing and working correctly, what I am trying to get across is, the speech meter is in 'Sleeping Mode.'  I am then constantly saying "Start Listening."  I say it several times.  I say it in a normal voice, in a loud voice and in a soft voice but all to no avail.  The speech meter will not wake up and show 'Listening' in the speech window.  It then has to be clicked manually for it to work.  This has just started to act up recently.  Before, there had not been a problem with WSR.

Quote If you have a speech profile backup just click Manage Profiles in the WSRToolkit. Click on Backup and then Restore my speech profile. This should do the trick.

If I do have a speech profile backup (which I do not believe I have) where would I look for it?

If I start a brand-new profile and training from scratch, would it be a good idea to back it up as soon as I start using it, as a backup in case this happens again?  If I did that, where should I put the backup or where does the backup go if indeed it does automatically?

Quote If this does not work, try running Ccleaner including cleaning the Registry. Reboot and see if it works.

With all due respect, I do not like using CC cleaner or any other piece of software to clean my Registry. I have been advised strongly in the past to not mess about in the Registry per se.

Thanks

andy t

Edited by andy t - 05/Jul/2011 at 3:30pm
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 4:21pm

The speech meter will not wake up and show 'Listening' in the speech window.  It then has to be clicked manually for it to work.  This has just started to act up recently.  Before, there had not been a problem with WSR.
Once "Listening" is activated by a mouse click, does WSR seem to work well?

Quote If I do have a speech profile backup (which I do not believe I have) where would I look for it?
Click Manage Profiles in the WSRToolkit V2. Click on Backup and then Restore my speech profile. If you have a saved backup when you click Restore it will overwrite your existing backup.

Quote If I start a brand-new profile and training from scratch, would it be a good idea to back it up as soon as I start using it, as a backup in case this happens again?  If I did that, where should I put the backup or where does the backup go if indeed it does automatically?
I perform a backup right after training. The backup is stored automatically in an obscure folder within the Microsoft Operating System.

Quote With all due respect, I do not like using CC cleaner or any other piece of software to clean my Registry. I have been advised strongly in the past to not mess about in the Registry per se.

I've been using CCleaner for about 4 years. It has performed flawlessly. Although I do not do it, using the CCleaner Registry Cleaner asks you if you want to make a backup of your registry before proceeding.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jul/2011 at 2:58am

Quote Once "Listening" is activated by a mouse click, does WSR seem to work well?

No.  It does not work as it used to.  I have trouble bringing up the Mouse Grid, commands do not work as they used to, trouble waking up WSR from the sleeping state as already mentioned and it does not perform as it should.  Could this be because of something I have downloaded perhaps?

Quote Click Manage Profiles in the WSRToolkit V2. Click on Backup and then Restore my speech profile. If you have a saved backup when you click Restore it will overwrite your existing backup.

I clicked Manage Profiles in WSRToolkit which brought up another window asking me whether I wanted to backup my speech profile or restore my speech profile.  I then clicked Restore my speech profile.  Another window came up with the title 'File To Restore.'  Then it was asking me 'Please provide the location and file name of the previously backed up profile or press the Browse button to select the file.  I clicked on the Browse button.  This then brought up 'My Documents' library but I could not see any obvious folder to choose for restoring my profile.  I have to assume seeing as I have not backed up any of my profiles, there isn't one.

Quote I perform a backup right after training. The backup is stored automatically in an obscure folder within the Microsoft Operating System.

This is going back to my original question.  Should I start a brand-new profile from scratch, train it and then back it up?  I have to assume once backed up, it goes into the 'My Documents' library.  When you say it goes into an 'obscure folder', you don't happen to know the name of the folder or the folder location do you?

When I started a brand-new profile the first time, WSR seemed to be okay.  I still had problems with trying to wake up WSR from the sleeping state though.  I may be totally wrong, but it seemed to go wrong after I had downloaded some programs.  Maybe I should check this out to eliminate that scenario.

Thank you

andy t

Edited by andy t - 06/Jul/2011 at 3:20am
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jul/2011 at 6:04am

I have to assume seeing as I have not backed up any of my profiles, there isn't one.
This is correct. When you create a backup using the Manage Profiles tool you will designate a location to store the backup. I created a folder on my Desktop called WSR Backups as this is easy to find. When I said your current backup goes to an obscure location it is actually many obscure locations with different parts of your speech profile. The tool in Manage Profiles pulls all these files together in one place you designate.

Quote This is going back to my original question.  Should I start a brand-new profile from scratch, train it and then back it up? When I started a brand-new profile the first time, WSR seemed to be okay.  I still had problems with trying to wake up WSR from the sleeping state though.  I may be totally wrong, but it seemed to go wrong after I had downloaded some programs.  Maybe I should check this out to eliminate that scenario.

I doubt other programs cause the problem. Making a new profile is the way to go.

Marty
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jul/2011 at 2:37pm

Quote Making a new profile is the way to go.

Okay, that is exactly what I did. 

It seems to be working fine now that I have made a brand-new profile.

Once I made the profile, the first thing I did was go into the Toolkit/Manage Profiles and then chose 'Backup' to back up this new profile.

It asked me for a name for the file.  So I called it WSR Speech Profile Backup and it automatically had the extension .WSRProfile.

Then obviously I had to pick a location for the file so I clicked 'Browse'.  I chose 'My Documents' library.

When I went to 'My Documents', the file was there but all that was showing was a white blank file with the name I chose for the file underneath.

I assumed that I had to open it choosing a program to open it with.  I right clicked it and chose 'Microsoft Word.'  I'm not sure if this was the right program to choose.

When I tried to open it, it took ages and ages.  It eventually opened up in Microsoft Word with wording that looked like some sort of code (that I could not understand) but I could not close it and Microsoft Word locked up in the end.  I eventually deleted it and started again with the backup process.

What should have happened when I saved this file as a speech profile backup?  Should I have just left it completely white or should I have opened it with another program?

Just need to know how I save the backups now really.  Should I have just put the white file into a folder and named that 'WSR Backups' and that would have acted as a backup if ever I needed it?

Where am I going wrong here?

Thanks

andy t

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Jul/2011 at 11:27pm

I assumed that I had to open it choosing a program to open it with.  I right clicked it and chose 'Microsoft Word.'  I'm not sure if this was the right program to choose.
You cannot open the backup file. What you saw was compiled code. It is there only in case you wish to restore the file at a later date.

Quote Just need to know how I save the backups now really.  Should I have just put the white file into a folder and named that 'WSR Backups' and that would have acted as a backup if ever I needed it?
I name my backup files Marty0211 etc. for the date backup is created. Therefore I can go back to a time the User Profile was working well.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 09/Jul/2011 at 11:29pm
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Jul/2011 at 3:57pm

Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

You cannot open the backup file. What you saw was compiled code. It is there only in case you wish to restore the file at a later date..

Okay.  I think what you are saying is I should have left it as a blank file (just white)???

Since the time I chose 'Microsoft Word' as a default program to open it, every time I delete it and make a new backup, it still shows with 'Microsoft Word' as the default program.

How can I change this back to it just being a white blank piece of file?

When wanting to revert to this file as a backup for the profile you are using at the moment, what is the procedure to do this? 

Quote I name my backup files Marty0211 etc. for the date backup is created. Therefore I can go back to a time the User Profile was working well.

Good idea.  I shall do that in future. 

In the meantime, how can I get my backup file to how it was, just showing white?  How can I get rid of the 'Microsoft Word' icon planted in the middle of it showing that this is the default program when no program is really needed? 

Cheers

andy t
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Jul/2011 at 6:12pm

Okay.  I think what you are saying is I should have left it as a blank file (just white)???

Yes. By designating Word as the default program to open the file this has become very problematic. I've spent a good hour at this and still do not have a solution.

Quote How can I change this back to it just being a white blank piece of file?

For normal programs the process is not difficult. You right click the file and select Properties and get this dialog box:

Normally you would just click the change button and select an installed program. However, the WSRProfile Backup tool does not install as a program but as a System DLL called, "Windows Shell Common Dll." Googled this and found this link:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6085298_open-windows-shell-common-dll.html
When I did a search of my Windows 7 Workstation it found 14,433 dlls. Frankly, at this point this is beyond me. I would post on SpeechComputing what you did (designated Word as the default program for this type of file) and point to the link for this message as it gives more information.

Quote When wanting to revert to this file as a backup for the profile you are using at the moment, what is the procedure to do this?

Normally (before you used Word) you would open the WSRToolkit V2. Select Manage Profiles, click Backup and then you'll see Restore. I

guess this is not logical and will fix the label to Backup or Restore instead of just Backup.

Just as a tip, whenever we want to open a file we never use Word. Notepad is non destructive and would just show the code or machine

language without messing anything up.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe_admin - 13/Jul/2011 at 6:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic