MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > Microphones and Sound Input > General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vista doesn't show USB mics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vista doesn't show USB mics
    Posted: 08/Jan/2009 at 9:16am
Here is my problem in a nutshell:

I cannot get Vista to show USB mics so I can't use WSR.

1. This all started when I had to reinstall Vista on my Acer Aspire 9300 laptop.
(AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50, 1600MHz, 4GB RAM). The mics involved are run through either an Andrea Sound Adapter (yep, the good 'ol Andrea) or through the Plantronics CS50 base

2. I've tried the following measures without success: Installing all updates coming via Windows Updates, direct download of SP1 and direct download of a hot fix (Fix196123) for audio.

3. I also tried a hack written about by apparently technically savvy people, but since I am not in that category, I'm not sure I did this correctly: copy usbaudio.sys from WinXP and paste it into several folders in Vista where there is a file of the same name. I renamed all of the Vista files before doing this, so, in effect, I have a backup of them. This was also an unsuccessful exercise.

4. In my case, "unsuccessful" means continuation of the initial status quo. The mics do not show up on the Recording tab of Audio Devices, and, following Vista's attempt to install the mics, Control Panel\Devices\USB Audio Device has a yellow triangle.

I have consulted Martin Markoe about this problem, and he has told me that he has never had trouble of  this kind since he began installing Vista RCs years ago. I was in the same lucky group until I had to reinstall. So, I decided to ask here - any insights?

TIA,
Daniel
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jan/2009 at 9:30am
Originally posted by dtee dtee wrote:

Here is my problem in a nutshell:
I cannot get Vista to show USB mics so I can't use WSR.
When I get to the office later today, I will try to e-mail a copy of the Vista USB audio driver to you. I do not believe it has changed from XP. Possibly the one on your system is corrupted? Once you get this file, here is how I would proceed:
  1. Remove any USB Audio drivers currently on the computer.
  2. Run a good registry cleaner. The one I use is free and has performed flawlessly for speeding up the computer and correcting registry errors. It is called CCleaner.
  3. Reboot the computer. Do not have the Andrea or Plantronics connected.
  4. Install the Vista Audio USB driver.
  5. Reboot again.
  6. Connect the Andrea pod to a different USB port than you have been using.

I'm going to ask some Microsoft SR workgroup people to take a look at this thread and see if they have any ideas.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 08/Jan/2009 at 10:18am
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jan/2009 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe mmarkoe wrote:

I will try to e-mail a copy of the Vista USB audio driver to you. I do not believe it has changed from XP. Possibly the one on your system is corrupted? Once you get this file, here is how I would proceed:
I tried E-mailing to the E-mail address you used in your last order (t----@simnet.is). It bounced. The zip file included two AMD USB drivers as I thought they might be relevant.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
BradT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jan/2009 at 5:28pm
Marty,

What about uploading the files to the Forum? 

Brad
dtee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Jan/2009 at 5:13am

I will try to e-mail a copy of the Vista USB audio driver to you. I do not believe it has changed from XP. Possibly the one on your system is corrupted? Once you get this file, here is how I would proceed:
I tried E-mailing to the E-mail address you used in your last order (t----@simnet.is). It bounced. The zip file included two AMD USB drivers as I thought they might be relevant.

Marty

Hi Marty,

Thank you for the good directions and trying to send the file. Sorry it bounced, but I fired
simnet last year for very bad service (long, boring story).

My current emails are ddteague@gmail.com (I think I registered with MSSpeech using this one) and teague@heimsnet.is (my company).

Brad's suggestion is also good.

Best regards,
Daniel
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Jan/2009 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Daniel Daniel wrote:

Thank you for the good directions and trying to send the file. Sorry it bounced, but I fired simnet last year for very bad service (long, boring story).

Will get the files to you (and upload USB audio driver) this afternoon.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 09/Jan/2009 at 9:11am
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Jan/2009 at 3:21pm

Daniel, the USB Audio Driver for Vista and the 2 AMD USB files were just E-mailed to your new E-mail addresses.

The USB Audio Driver uploaded to the files section.

Marty
dtee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Jan/2009 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

Daniel, the USB Audio Driver for Vista and the 2 AMD USB files were just E-mailed to your new E-mail addresses...

As I mentioned elsewhere, these drivers came to me in good order. Now after a week of trying to solve my problem, here is at least an interim report:

The first stumbling block proved to be Vista continuing at random to display the BSOD. It complained about "BUG_USB_DEVICE." At this point I decided to completely uninstall all USB devices, i.e., everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers so that Vista would reinstall all of it. This solved two problems: Vista, which had never managed to restart or shut down normally, now did so, and there were no more BSOD incidents. This was progress of sorts, but Vista still knew nothing about my USB devices.

This made the easy way you outlined for updating device drivers unusable. So I did it the hard way by taking over ownership of the drivers and copying in the ones you sent to me. I also used CCleaner, as you suggested. There was slight progress because Vista now registers my CS50 mic when I plug it in. Nevertheless, the mic is unusable, for Vista does not "hear" any sound when I speak into the mic. It really appears to me that the Vista installation on my laptop seriously misfired, but I have not had time to reinstall. That will be the project this weekend.

That's it for now. If this information enables anyone to see what is really going on, I would greatly appreciate any further pointers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic