MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > Microphones and Sound Input
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple Microphones for WSR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple Microphones for WSR
    Posted: 06/Jan/2014 at 2:45pm
This thread is a little bit old, but I wanted to add another question to it that falls into the same category. I ran across a tidbit of information somewhere on the Internet that suggested all other microphones attached to the system (those not being used for speech recognition) should be disabled. I can't see how this would benefit speech recognition in any way, so I was wondering whether anyone had heard of this before?
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jan/2014 at 3:24pm
Windows Speech Recognition as well as Dragon can only use one microphone at a time. This is and should be the Default microphone found in Recording Devices of the recording tab in the Speech dialog box.

However, some software has been known to grab the recording device. For example, Skype is started and uses a microphone in the web cam. You close Skype and start WSR or Dragon. You may think you are using a headset or desktop microphone when in fact you are still using the web cam and wonder why accuracy is poor.

Marty
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jan/2014 at 5:07pm
So, in a way, it would kind of make sense to limit your system to just one microphone so that something like that could never happen…? By the way, Marty, Dragon Naturallyspeaking 12 does have the capability of adding more than one source microphone per profile; it's actually one of the few decent features it has. ;-)
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Jan/2014 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Sixwheels Sixwheels wrote:

So, in a way, it would kind of make sense to limit your system to just one microphone so that something like that could never happen…? By the way, Marty, Dragon Naturallyspeaking 12 does have the capability of adding more than one source microphone per profile; it's actually one of the few decent features it has. ;-)

I have 2 microphones (headset and desktop) and a web cam connected to my workstation. It is just a matter of designating the default.

I've had no problems with Dragon 12. Accuracy is superb out of the box.

Glad to hear from you. A Happy and Healthy New Year to you.

Marty
Sixwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Jan/2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

I've had no problems with Dragon 12. Accuracy is superb out of the box.

Glad to hear from you. A Happy and Healthy New Year to you.

Marty

There's no doubt that Dragon's accuracy is astonishing, Marty, but even you have to admit that it is dreadful when it comes to the metro interface and practically every app that runs from there. I have tried several times to use it with my system, and I always go back to Windows Speech Recognition and the ad on macro program. Perhaps if I shelled out the dollars for Dragon Naturallyspeaking Premium I would like the product better, but I doubt it. ;-)

Thank you kindly for the well wishes; I do hope that you and yours have had a sterling holiday season. :-)
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Jan/2014 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

Our operating system is Windows 8.1 now. For the most part we use the Classic Shell which mimics Windows 7. However in the Metro interface all tiles are easily activated without macros. The windows that are open can be closed in via voice command without a macro. You can also switch applications by voice.
Marty

Thanks Marty.
-Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic