MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows speech recognition crashing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows speech recognition crashing
    Posted: 27/May/2010 at 10:45am

Now and again, not always, when my PC starts up, the speech recognition will start automatically as usual but then an error message will appear which states 'speech recognition has stopped working and needs to be restarted'.

I then have to close speech recognition and reopen it via the control panel >speech recognition >start speech recognition.

I just wondered if anybody had any idea why this is happening and how to stop it from happening? 

Also, where my speech recognition starts up and it is working fine, just lately I still have to wait an awful long time for the circle in the speech bar to disappear before I can issue my next command. This never used to happen and the circle would disappear quite quickly. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and if it can be corrected in any way?

There does not seem to be much activity in this forum lately. Am I still posting in the correct section should I be posting somewhere else now?

Thanks

andy t

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2010 at 11:56am
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

Now and again, not always, when my PC starts up, the speech recognition will start automatically as usual but then an error message will appear which states 'speech recognition has stopped working and needs to be restarted'.
This happens to me occasionally. I just ignore it. I suspect other processes are trying to start at the same time and they conflict somehow. As you, I just re-open and all is fine.

Quote Also, where my speech recognition starts up and it is working fine, just lately I still have to wait an awful long time for the circle in the speech bar to disappear before I can issue my next command. This never used to happen and the circle would disappear quite quickly. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and if it can be corrected in any way?
It is possible your speech profile has become bloated. Not sure if this is the correct response, but simply create a new profile. If response time is faster with the new profile then the old profile had grown with use. This is because WSR is constantly review what you dictate and when running, review E-mail and any documents you have and updates your speech profile.

Quote There does not seem to be much activity in this forum lately. Am I still posting in the correct section should I be posting somewhere else now?
It looks to me that most speech recognition forums have reduced traffic. Either most people have given up on speech recognition or are just plain happy with it. Big smile

BTW, I have not noticed you giving Mark Conrad a piece of your mind lately. Also, he does not seem to be active. Wonder if he has just thrown in the towel and conceded?

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2010 at 9:43am

Thanks. I will start a new profile to see if that repairs the problem.

Quote BTW, I have not noticed you giving Mark Conrad a piece of your mind lately. Also, he does not seem to be active. Wonder if he has just thrown in the towel and conceded?

He may have just given up because he was getting no response from anybody and most people got wise to his trolling and mainly just ignored him. Trolls are attention seeking, lack confidence and have an inferiority complex. As soon as the attentions stopped and the spotlight was not on him anymore, as with most attention seekers, they give up and try somewhere else.

I think he was badly burnt and embarrassed when I set him a proper typing/dictation speed test on the Web to prove he could dictate the ridiculous amounts of words per minute he said he could dictate. As I and everybody else thought, he could not complete the test by dictating it as I had done, so all he could do was cheat instead. As I suspected all along, the writings he was putting on the Web for everybody to see and saying that he had dictated them with 100% accuracy, were in fact lies. All he could do was copy and paste them as anyone could do. This is what I mean by attention seeking and his bid to try and get people to show their admiration for him. Something lacking in him or the self-confidence thing. Quite sad really for an 80-year-old man to get like that.

Still as they say, that's life. If you read those posts between him and I, some of them were quite funny really but I think he got the picture.

As for never hearing from him again, he is a lurker which means he lurks from forums to forum, Website to Website without actually joining any of them. He just reads the comments in them without actually joining so I wouldn't be surprised if he reads this and then starts posting again in the Microsoft General Vista Newsgroup.

Having said all that, the Microsoft Vista newsgroups will be no more soon because I believe they are being closed down in June of this year.

Most of hardened Windows people I suspect then, will be moving to the new Windows 7 forums, these which are moderated more carefully than the Vista newsgroups. Any nonsense in there from Conrad or anybody else trying to advertise, won't last long.

Anyway, enough of that moron. How are you Marty? How is everything coming along?

andy t

Edited by andy t - 28/May/2010 at 10:12am
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by andy t andy t wrote:

How is everything coming along?t

Let us know how the new profile works.

I'll be in touch hopefully within the next 2 weeks concerning the other project.

Frankly, just reading the back and forth with Mark Conrad was exhausting.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
andy t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/May/2010 at 1:55pm

I will let you know how the new profile shapes up ;-)

I also look forward to hearing from you within the next two weeks.

Thanks for everything Marty.

Cheers

andy t

ImImIn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImImIn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Mar/2012 at 7:00pm
I too have been having this same problem for some time.  My MSSR software used to work just fine, but then stopped working!  The event log for my "crashed" MS Speech Recognition event is listed below:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          3/4/2012 1:48:55 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Abraham.Impact.local
Description:
Faulting application name: sapisvr.exe, version: 5.3.11513.0, time stamp: 0x4a5bcdc4
Faulting module name: spsreng.dll, version: 8.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdb16
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0009c864
Faulting process id: 0x1df8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccfa372d7bc149
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Speech\Engines\SR\spsreng.dll
Report Id: b167b7b4-662a-11e1-96bf-0024e8e41186
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-04T18:48:55.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>668979</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Abraham.Impact.local</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>sapisvr.exe</Data>
    <Data>5.3.11513.0</Data>
    <Data>4a5bcdc4</Data>
    <Data>spsreng.dll</Data>
    <Data>8.0.7600.16385</Data>
    <Data>4a5bdb16</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0009c864</Data>
    <Data>1df8</Data>
    <Data>01ccfa372d7bc149</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\System32\Speech\Engines\SR\spsreng.dll</Data>
    <Data>b167b7b4-662a-11e1-96bf-0024e8e41186</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I tried a number of things to isolate the cause of the issue.  From within msconfig, I stopped all none MS services and stopped all processes. Same problem, thereby eliminating the none MS/OS programs and services.  I tried unplugging all un-needed hardware from my computer (Dell Precision laptop M4400 running 4GB memory and +3.1 GHz on the dual core processor).  I tried your suggestions on this post.  After setting up a new MSSR profile (as 'mmarkoe' suggested), my problem was SOLVED!  Everything is working GREAT now with my speech recognition!  Its even seems to be using my same speech identification files from my initial speech training files from my initial profile???

It would be good if MS gave a patch to fix this problem (whatever causes the profile to become 'corrupted')!  What do you think?

Thank you for your forum and your good help!!

Gary
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Mar/2012 at 9:40am
Gary,
> It would be good if MS gave a patch to fix this problem (whatever
> causes the profile to become 'corrupted')! What do you think?

There could be a myriad of causes for the problem you have described. It is only the 2nd time we have heard this happening in the 6 years we've been using WSR.

> After setting up a new MSSR profile (as 'mmarkoe' suggested), my problem
> was SOLVED! Everything is working GREAT now with my speech recognition!
> Its even seems to be using my same speech identification files from my initial
> speech training files from my initial profile???
It's great to hear the new profile found and uses your speech files even though the user profile itself was corrupt. Microsoft recognized the need to have a backup of your user profiles. I always though it was useful for installing your profile on other computers but now see the need for it in case of corruption. If you have installed the WSRToolkit V2 the backup is easily accessible from the Manage Profiles button. If you do not have the WSRToolkit V2, Click Here to download the Profile Manager from the Microsoft Web site.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic