MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 memory leah report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7 memory leah report
    Posted: 12/Feb/2010 at 3:56pm

Bipolar reported memory increasing as the day wore on. I personally had not seen it.

Today I found an official report of memory leaks in Windows 7. CLICK HERE to read.

Marty

bipolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Feb/2010 at 6:29pm
That doesn't appear to be related to my issue though. They make no mention of sapisvr.exe. I've even seen that executables memory use grow to near 1 GB (actually 900,000 to be exact). I've also noticed that when I first started it my computer is a little sluggish. It remains that way while WSR is in a listening state, but ceases the moment I put to sleep or turn off the microphone. Very peculiar. Even with these shortcomings I still find myself using it more than dragon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 3:57pm
Marty, on the machine where you noted no increase in memory use for WSR, do you also have dragon installed on that same machine? I'm wondering if that conflict might be causing my issue. I have a second machine here with windows seven professional 32 bit and I'm not seeming to have that same issue, and dragon is not installed on it. Thanks-BPB
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by bipolarbear bipolarbear wrote:

Marty, on the machine where you noted no increase in memory use for WSR, do you also have dragon installed on that same machine? I'm wondering if that conflict might be causing my issue. I have a second machine here with windows seven professional 32 bit and I'm not seeming to have that same issue, and dragon is not installed on it. Thanks-BPB
Dragon is installed, but not usually active at the same time. You may be onto something. Try troubleshooting and get back to us.

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Mar/2010 at 5:47pm
Well, I rarely have them both open at the same time myself.  There's really no reason to.  Upon closer examination, the memory is growing on this machine also.  I'm using the other one right now.  Memory started out under 20 K and is now over 58.  The memory on my other machine for WSR is now well over a gigabyte because I have not closed it all day.

I think the trick is you need to actually be using it, not just have it open with a microphone turned on.  If I let it sit without using it doesn't seem to grow very much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 12:12am
When I finally decided to shut it on my windows ultimate machine, it was using 1.34 GB of ram.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 6:31am

When I finally decided to shut it on my windows ultimate machine, it was using 1.34 GB of ram.
WSR has been running constantly on this computer the past week or so since the last Microsoft update forced a reboot.  Here is a snip of the Task Manager.

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 8:45am
And which version of windows is that? Thanks.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 9:05am

And which version of windows is that? Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 1:02pm
I just don't know what can be causing this. It's just after lunch and it's already up around 650,000. It's just nuts.
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 3:49pm

I just don't know what can be causing this. It's just after lunch and it's already up around 650,000. It's just nuts.
Are you connected to a network? If so, try disconnecting the network cable and see if that solves the problem after a reboot.

Marty
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 5:47pm
I guess I am in a sense, I am connected to my router, but the other computer connected to it isn't switched on.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Mar/2010 at 8:46pm

I guess I am in a sense, I am connected to my router, but the other computer connected to it isn't switched on.
If this is a home computer, check the memory usage before you go to sleep. Disconnect from the router. Check usage in AM before reconnecting.

I may be grasping at straws here, but heck, it won't hurt to try.

Marty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Mar/2010 at 9:57am
I'll try that tonight. I appreciate any suggestions. Once my company gets my work computer issues squared away, I will have a real chance to work on that one all day, and see if the same issue prevails. At this point I've not been able to confirm if it is all windows seven operating systems or just mine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Mar/2010 at 8:41am
I found out something about the memory growth. Just having the unit on as well as the microphone, will not cause it. It actually has to be used. This is the other machine I'm on, the one running windows 7 professional. I had it all night with the microphone on and there was no growth.

It stayed right around 82,000. Now after dictating this and one email, it's at 100,000. Same for the other machine, just turning it on won't do it, it has to be in use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic