MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

repeat appearance of non spoken word

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repeat appearance of non spoken word
    Posted: 05/Feb/2010 at 5:12pm
Whenever I am dictating, the word "if" seems to insert itself. This often happens at the beginning of a sentence but can happen anywhere and anytime whether I am speaking or not. Often there will be several "if"s in a row. When I backspace to erase them they commonly rewrite themselves. This is extremely frustrating as the only way to stop it is to turn the microphone off. What is going on? HELP!!!please.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Feb/2010 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Eric W Eric W wrote:

Whenever I am dictating, the word "if" seems to insert itself. This often happens at the beginning of a sentence but can happen anywhere and anytime whether I am speaking or not. Often there will be several "if"s in a row. When I backspace to erase them they commonly rewrite themselves. This is extremely frustrating as the only way to stop it is to turn the microphone off. What is going on? HELP!!!please.
This sounds like a microphone audio level adjustment problem. First start with the simple solutions:
  1. Make sure the microphone element of the headset is off the corner of your mouth. This will prevent exhales and inhales from being picked up as stray words.
  2. Run the audio setup, "Set up my microphone."
  3. If you're not using a noise cancelling microphone, consider getting a good one.

If the above suggestions do not help, you may need to make some registry settings to your sound card settings. CLICK HERE to see the thread that discusses this.

Marty
Eric W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Feb/2010 at 5:44pm
Thanks Marty! I'll try those things. It is nice to know that a)there might actually be a fix (I assumed it was probably just an irreparable software malfunction),and b)that someone actually took the time to be helpful (Microsoft doesn't seem to have any help or patches to download). Thanks again!          - E.W.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Feb/2010 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Eric W Eric W wrote:

Thanks Marty! I'll try those things. It is nice to know that a)there might actually be a fix (I assumed it was probably just an irreparable software malfunction),and b)that someone actually took the time to be helpful (Microsoft doesn't seem to have any help or patches to download). Thanks again!
OK. Let us know how it goes.

Marty
bipolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Feb/2010 at 2:17pm
Same thing happens to me. In fact before I had uttered a sound WSR would print Th. Don't ask me why, it's not even a word, but I needed to add it to words to prevent from being dictated to get it to stop. Now it seems to type the word fifth. All I can guess is it's reacting to what ever sound the switch on my microphone makes when turned on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic