MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does WSR really learn when corrected?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does WSR really learn when corrected?
    Posted: 03/Feb/2010 at 8:03am
I was wondering if it really does learn every time you correct and spell a word it incorrectly interprets. I know the documentation says it does, but so does dragon say that, and I've personally corrected the same mistake literally hundreds of times in dragon and they persisted, particularly in version nine but version 10 as well.

I've already seen with WSR that custom words added to the dictionary are still in correctly recognized even after having been corrected and spelled a dozen times. Thanks
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Feb/2010 at 10:21am
Originally posted by bipolarbear bipolarbear wrote:

I was wondering if it really does learn every time you correct and spell a word it incorrectly interprets. I know the documentation says it does, but so does dragon say that, and I've personally corrected the same mistake literally hundreds of times in dragon and they persisted, particularly in version nine but version 10 as well.
The trick with any speech recognition software is to not correct single words. Always correct words in the context and the probability of the word appearing correctly the next time you use it in that context is very high. For example, if I say, "I wish to free slaves in sub Saharan Africa," and it comes up with, "I wish to feed slaves...." I simply say, Correct "to feed slaves" and make the correction, "to free slaves."

Marty
russ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Feb/2010 at 2:21pm
bipolarbear,

Just to add to what Marty is saying...

In addition to adding words to the dictionary, you may want to try recording pronunciations for the words that are giving you problems. Also, you may want to use the "prevent the word from being dictated" option if it's appropriate. This mostly works well for obscure words that you don't usually dictate. For example, I have a friend named Arne; this name is usually spelled Arnie, so I have prevented the common spelling from being dictated, and added the less common spelling to my speech dictionary.

-Russ
bipolarbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bipolarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Feb/2010 at 1:34am
I always record and train whenever the option is not listed in the correction menu. I also correct more than just the one word to lend context, when possible. But I've noticed with both programs, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Well that's not entirely accurate, occasionally it does, but only occasionally.

In dns, I've even exaggerated pronunciations to differentiate them from one another even more, and that hasn't helped a bit. It will continually make the same mistake. One improvement in version 10 over version nine, at least it doesn't begin sentences with "know", instead of "no". I don't know how many times I trained it in version nine, and it continually made the same error.

"Prevent from being dictated" is a terrific idea. It has limited use but in those situations where it was applicable, it solved my issues. Unfortunately it's not applicable terribly often.
himAGAIN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote himAGAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Nov/2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by mmarkoe_admin mmarkoe_admin wrote:

Originally posted by bipolarbear bipolarbear wrote:

The trick with any speech recognition software is to not correct single words. Always correct words in the context and the probability of the word appearing correctly the next time you use it in that context is very high. For example, if I say, "I wish to free slaves in sub Saharan Africa," and it comes up with, "I wish to feed slaves...." I simply say, Correct "to feed slaves" and make the correction, "to free slaves."

Marty

Helloooo Marty,
THIS advice of yours should be in coloured capitals in the introduction to the whole idea of S2T (speech-2-text)!
Most users make the same few simple mistakes:
1.  Don't speak in meaningful bites - from comma to comma, or full stop!
2. Speak too slowly or too quickly. One should read as a BBC (England) Newsreader.
3. Fascinatedly watch/wait for the text to display on screen. Turn it off! Don't watch!
4. DON'T try to correct by using a different voice.  You'll forget and say "wanna do it" next time, again.
5. Before you get mad at the program - test your typing speed AND to the corrected text time in w.p.m.

I, of course don't do any of these things .......... Embarrassed

Cheers!
HimAGAIN

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic