MSSpeech-Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows™ Speech Recognition Forums > New Users & General Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem with move and home commands being issued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with move and home commands being issued

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Msradell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msradell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with move and home commands being issued
    Posted: 14/Jan/2010 at 10:59pm
The registry change is working wonderfully.  Between it and the new microphone I bought from you guys my accuracy has increased significantly.

Thanks for your help,
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Msradell
<DIV>I'm assuming I need to put the levels I want in the default key for both Volume and SNR.  Is this correct?[/QUOTE Msradell
I'm assuming I need to put the levels I want in the default key for both Volume and SNR.  Is this correct?[/QUOTE wrote:

Yes. I have ours set for a Volume of 33% and an SNR of 28. You just want to see the blue Volume meter in the Speech Bar
Yes. I have ours set for a Volume of 33% and an SNR of 28. You just want to see the blue Volume meter in the Speech Bar go up one or 2 bars. If it is less, try upping the Volume setting to 40% and the SNR to 30.

Marty
Msradell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msradell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 10:44am
I was a little confused.  I was looking for the same number sequence as well as the Volume and SNR keys.  I did some were looking and found the keys they look like this:

I'm assuming I need to put the levels I want in the default key for both Volume and SNR.  Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.
mmarkoe_admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe_admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jan/2010 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Msradell Msradell wrote:

Those registry locations do not exist on my Toshiba A505 should I just go ahead and create them?  This laptop has a Realtec audio system built in.
I'm surprised you did not find them. We have seen them on at least 6 computers besides our own. Below is a screen shot from my Toshiba Satellite registry.

Marty
Msradell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msradell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jan/2010 at 1:22pm
Marty,
 Those registry locations do not exist on my Toshiba A505 should I just go ahead and create them?  This laptop has a Realtec audio system built in.

Thanks,
Mark
mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Sarah Sarah wrote:

I can confirm that despite what I set the audio settings to, they jump up to 100 after running the 'setup my microphone' utility.  I am using Windows Vista. I personally have not seen any negative effects from this change- my accuracy seems to be about the same as it was before.
Except that it is recognizing Home and Move when you are not saying anything?

We have figured out Registry edits that peg the audio where trial and error shows it to be optimal for us. Once set, we do not run "Set up my microphone," as this returns the settings to 100%. Not only has accuracy returned to where it was, but no more Home/End/Move interpretations that send the cursor all over the place.

Here are the Registry hacks:

I modified the SNR key (hit the decimal radio button) to 32. The Volume key (decimal again) was set to 3333 (33%). These seem to work well with my home office setup (a Samson Q7 and Andrea USB pod), my Toshiba Satellite notebook (Sennheiser ME3/Andrea USB pod) and my business office (Sennheiser MD431II/Andrea USB pod). Remember, once you reset the SNR and volume, do not run the setup my microphone audio setup wizard. If you do, it will set the volume back to 100%. Also, do not forget to reboot your computer for the settings to take hold. Finally, of course you are going to make a registry backup before playing around?

SNR setting:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech\RecoProfiles\Tokens\{95CF724E-B3B5-4D94-A4FB-36AE77A88FE0}\{DAC9F469-0C67-4643-9258-87EC128C5941}\SNR

Volume settng:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Speech\RecoProfiles\Tokens\{95CF724E-B3B5-4D94-A4FB-36AE77A88FE0}\{DAC9F469-0C67-4643-9258-87EC128C5941}\Volume

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.

Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner
See us at: http://www.mymsspeech.com
razzleberrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzleberrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 6:55pm

Thanks for the response.

I can confirm that despite what I set the audio settings to, they jump up to 100 after running the 'setup my microphone' utility.  I am using Windows Vista.

I personally have not seen any negative effects from this change- my accuracy seems to be about the same as it was before.

However, my work space has also been much quieter lately, as this is a time of year when many coworkers are on vacation.

Sarah

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Dec/2009 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by razzleberrie razzleberrie wrote:

I am curious what level of accuracy I should expect here, in terms of words and commands not being received when I am not speaking.  I am very happy with the accuracy when I am actually dictating, and think that it is above 90%.  However, I haven't read anything that tells me what to expect in terms of filtering out sounds that are not speech.
Dragon NaturallySpeaking has a feature called nothing but speech that knows to ignore the breathing sounds and other minor nonsense words. WSR apparently does not have this.

I use highly noise canceling microphones and I receive just about perfect accuracy in dictation and command recognition. It is been our experience that even in very quiet environments, a better noise canceling microphone out performs a poor noise canceling microphone.

The past couple of weeks I’ve noticed a change in the way WSR handles audio levels. I assume an update from Microsoft has been applied where the audio level is automatically adjusted as room noise conditions change.

I've seen no documentation about this but I find I cannot manually adjust the audio levels to a lower level than 100%. When I do make a manual adjustment, the audio level automatically jumps back to 100%. The Set up my microphone also jumps it to 100%.

The reason I think this came from an update is that I've noticed this on two Vista workstations and my new Windows 7 notebook. It is almost as if the system is saying we know what the audio level should be and are adjusting it for you. I prefer to see only one or two bars of blue audio in the speech bar vertical volume level meter. It now seems to always be at the middle which is not my preference for accuracy and the ability to not pick up stray sounds as commands.

Are you able to confirm the observation I’ve had? Is there a method for manually adjusting audio levels so they stick? I’ve tried both onboard sound chips and various USB sound pods with the same results.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 24/Dec/2009 at 1:10pm
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzleberrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Dec/2009 at 10:09pm

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions.  I took some time to try them out and see if they helped over the long term.

I have begun running the utility, " set up my microphone" several times a day, as the volume and activity in my office changes.  That has had the greatest effect at reducing this issue.

I have the microphone off the corner of the mouth, and have been experimenting with how far to the side I can place it before that "setup my microphone" utility tells me that it cannot hear me clearly.  This has also had some positive results.

I don't hear any electronic noise on the line, and did not have a different experience using other USB ports.

I took the basic step of removing the Home button from my browser, and use notepad to dictate any longer web site posts, such as this one, to avoid accidentally navigating away.

I still have some issues with these commands being issued, but only at the rate of one every couple minutes when I am sedentary.  When I am actively moving around I have more issues, so I try to avoid doing that at the same time as voice recognition.  I have even better results when I drop the pitch of my voice about an octave, but it is not realistic for me to speak that way for long periods of time.

I am curious what level of accuracy I should expect here, in terms of words and commands not being received when I am not speaking.  I am very happy with the accuracy when I am actually dictating, and think that it is above 90%.  However, I haven't read anything that tells me what to expect in terms of filtering out sounds that are not speech.

Thanks again for all of your help.

mmarkoe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmarkoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by razzleberrie razzleberrie wrote:

Windows speech recognition frequently recognizes the commands home and move when I am not speaking.
The problem would be understandable if it was just with the Plantronics as most of them are poor noise canceling microphones. Therefore we must look at several other things:
1. Do you run the utility, "Set up my microphone?" You should not only run this when changing microphones, but whenever accuracy is not what it should be.
2. Is the microphone element off the corner of your mouth where it belongs or is it in front of your mouth?
3. Have you tried other USB ports?
4. If the other suggestions do not help, make a Windows Sound Recorder recording and playback. There should be no obvious electronic noise. If there is, try making the recording again without the AC connector charging the notebook battery. If this cures the problem, you have a 60 Hz ground loop causing interference. This was more common in notebook computers several years ago, but not that often recently.

Marty

Edited by mmarkoe - 10/Nov/2009 at 5:28pm
Marty Markoe, MVP
Microsoft Valued Partner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzleberrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 4:59pm

Windows speech recognition frequently recognizes the commands home and move when I am not speaking.

I can't hear any audible noise that corresponds with these commands being interpreted by windows.  I am able to trigger the move command by blowing lightly across the microphone.  However, this problem also occurs when the microphone is on my desk, away from my mouth, so it doesn’t seem like it would be completely resolved by changing the way I breathe.  However, it does happen to a lesser degree when the microphone is not within range of my mouth.

This problem makes it difficult to surf the Internet because I am frequently returned to my homepage.  It also interferes with dictation because the cursor is moved around at natural pauses and at the end of sentences.

I have this problem with the following microphone setups:
Andrea sound pod for Sennhliser ME three
Andrea sound pod and a Plantronics gaming head set

I have the problem on both a PC and an HP laptop, and can provide specs if that would be helpful.  I haven’t shared any speech profiles between these computers.

I’ve tried preventing these words from being dictated in the speech dictionary, but that doesn’t seem to stop them from being interpreted as commands.  I don’t know a way to correct windows speech recognition when it makes this mistake, because they’re commands.  Can anyone make any suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic